Tuesday, January 13, 2009

DAYS 6 & 7 - Staying Busy Doing Nothing

Wow, days off sure are busy around here! I haven't found the time to blog for a couple of days. We've all been joking that we're so busy (because really we're doing very little) but the days seem quite full, even when I only do a couple of things. I think we devote so much more energy to our practice here that it doesn't leave room for too much else...

SUNDAY:

This morning I was up at 3. Ah, jetlag. When will I adjust? My new roommate Lara and I go to check out the weekly Organic Market. I was warned to be prepared for a big frenzy and yoginis behaving badly, but it was really just a small frenzy and yoginis behaving badly, shoving and grabbing for the limited supply of organic produce. I buy a small bottle of calendula infused honey to sooth my raw throat as I work through this cold and adjust to the dust and pollution I am constantly breathing here.

Later Mr Joseph takes a few of us on a trip to a small orphanage way out in the middle of nowhere, where we give Christmas gifts to about 15 little boys. Ironically, the orphans, in contrast to the yogis at the organic market, are not shoving or grabbing as we distribute what must be very rare gifts of toys and candy. (Wow, little lesson here?) They are so lovely and polite and happy to see us, charming us with their sweet smiles and asking our names and where we are from. As we are leaving I realize that there is no "home" for them here; they appear to have just a couple of very small structures, not even the size of our 1-car garage at home, and a water pump and table outside. It's heartbreaking but today, at least, they seem happy.

MONDAY:

It's Led Primary again this morning, last one before we move to Mysore-style practice tomorrow. Saraswati is back today and she leads the class, and although it's still super-crowded and crazy-hot, it seems that she tortures us for slightly less time than Sharath in Sirsasana and Ut Plutih... or maybe it just feels that way after a couple of days off! Mr Joseph makes us his awesome breakfast again, and then my friend Emma and I head off to check out the pool.

We get to the pool and oh boy, it's like an oasis tucked away in the middle of Mysore. It's lovely and clean and surprisingly quiet here! No garbage on the ground, no traffic fumes, no men peeing on the side of the street... just palm trees, lovely grass we can actually hang out on, a cold, clean pool, and sunshine! Hooray! After a couple of hours of swimming, lounging in the sun, and chatting with friends, I feel like I am on vacation... I think I will be spending a lot of time here!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley, I have to ask "who is this Mr. Joseph?" You have referred to him a few times and I get he is a caretaker of sorts, but is he Indian or Italian or Polish or Canadian or from California? He cooks great food and knows orphanages in the middle of no where? He must be very interesting. Or maybe not. I will stay tuned for your latest report! This is so much fun to read. My husband, Arvo, is reading everyday too. He even used my name to comment yesterday! Thank you again and again for sharing! Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley, I just read Emma's e-mail and she was discussing the pool and how much she likes to hang out there. I see you go together. Loved your description of the orphanage, but it would have broken my heart. I would have wanted to take them "home." Marilyn

    ReplyDelete