Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 2 - Settling In

This morning I'm awakened at 4am by the sound of sacred music filling the dark streets. I know that others are starting their practice at the shala and wistfully wish I could join them, but that's not for me today. I crashed into a nap after lunch yesterday afternoon (suddenly finding myself too dizzy and jetlagged to figure out how to set my alarm) and missed the short window for registration at AYRI. I know it was meant to be, though... I had felt a little uncertain about the auspiciousness of registering on a Tuesday, anyway. So today I get up and figure out how to make tea, alone in the dark house.

I'm about to venture out to wander around Gokulum on my own when Mr Joseph invites me upstairs; he is preparing a special breakfast for his guests today: warm dosas topped with his "famous" fruit salad (including the first mangoes of the season), mueslix and curd, then a homemade super-ginger tea. Wow! It's nice to meet some other students and share a meal with them. The flat upstairs is really lovely and I'm grateful for the food and company.

This afternoon I register at the shala and can't wait to start practice tomorrow! It's all led primary this week so it will be a pretty intense start for me. On my way out I hear that there are Sanskrit and Chanting classes starting upstairs, so I go back in and join both. What perfect timing! My Sanskrit knowledge is minimal but what I do know about the alphabet begins to come back to me, and as I'm writing out the vowels the exercise feels soothingly familiar. Chanting class follows and we chant the Yoga Sutra and Yoga Asana names, also familiar and comforting. Classes will be 3 times a week for a month. I feel good when I leave, and so happy I've found something to fill some of my time here :)

1 comment:

  1. Namaskar Sister!!! You know I'm jealous of the chanting class.... I'm gonna stop by my local temple tonight, still working on finding someone to fill Mekhala's shoes... (as IF that were possible, but you know what I mean).

    Love love love
    Sara Bara

    ReplyDelete