Friday, January 9, 2009

DAY 4 - Feeding My Cold

Yesterday morning my throat was itching and by last night I was sneezy and stuffy. This morning I wake up and it's official, I have a cold. Bummer! I was just beginning to recover from jet lag and now I'm sick. I'm glad I brought some cold medicine but wish I had more kleenex since I haven't seen any around here... oh well. I have practice this morning and then Saturday and Sunday off, so hopefully it will pass quickly and I'll be better by Monday. Maybe this weekend I'll try to dry it up lounging by the pool in town!

I've never been into the "feed a cold" philosophy, but I think here in Mysore I'll make an exception; eating here has been amazing! I'm so pleasantly surprised. Tuesday I had a basic Indian lunch at Dasaprakash, with rice, dhal, sambhar, vegetables, chapati and ghee, and yes, eating with the fingers and all. It was pretty awesome. Wednesday Mr Joseph made us that beautiful "Dosas with Fruit Salad" meal, and Thursday I fell in love with Santosha. I had been signed up for a special Western-style dinner event they were doing last night but ended up going with some friends for breakfast, too, and it was fantastic - I could eat there twice every day! Their place is laid-back and charming and they make these delicious home-baked breads and pastries each morning and the yogis hanging around there are super-friendly and welcoming. I might actually get to move in there - keeping my fingers crossed - it's such a great vibe and they have a lovely room that would be perfect for the rest of my stay. Oh, and whiIe I'm going on about the culinary delights of Mysore, I can't forget to mention that there are fresh coconuts on the street outside the studio in the morning to rehydrate after practice (Matthew, can't you set this up at home?) and they cost, like, 25 cents.

So, on to the OTHER reason for being here... practice, practice, practice! This morning (my 2nd day of practice at the shala) was also amazing. It was led, so I did the whole series again and now I know Sharath is keeping an eye on me because as we moved into Upavishta Konasana he reminded me "take your feet, not your toes" before I did it. Practice felt a little harder today because I was stiff after the intensity of yesterday (I was so hot and flexible that I'm pretty sure I may have been touching my toes with my chin yesterday, ha ha), but it also felt a little easier because it didn't seem to take as much effort and energy as yesterday did. It just is what it is, I guess. Different every day, right?

Tonight I'm off to the Green Hotel for dinner, I hear they have delicious food and a lovely garden and there will be lots of yoga students there. What an amazing journey this will be, and already is!

2 comments:

  1. Shelley, I caught up with your posts today after I received an e-mail from Emma Chandler that she was there - how funny that you both ended up going at the same time. Emma said you will be rooming together, which will be so nice for you, and should keep away the loneliness. The world sometimes turns out to be smaller than we thought. Take care. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care of your cold girlfriend! I understand the emotional rollercoaster that comes from being someplace that you really want to be, while at the same time you really miss the place you were excited to leave to get there. There is comfort in familiarity, but there is also excitement in new experiences. It sounds like you are handling it well, taking one day at a time. keep it all in perspective and try to stay grounded. Thanks for posting so often! It allows the rest of us to pretend we are having your experience too!

    ReplyDelete