Wednesday, January 7, 2009

DAY 1 - Namaste, India!


Arrived in Bangalore early this morning after 24 hours of traveling. I'm so nervous and excited to be here that I don't even feel tired! When we leave the airport I'm pleasantly surprised; India doesn't feel as unfamiliar as I expected. It reminds me of many places I've been before... palm trees, dirt and dust, brightly colored little shacks with tin roofs. No turquoise waters here, though! The road is paved and it's a smooth 3 hour ride to Mysore, with the rising sun burning away the morning fog as we go. I'm loving the ride, taking in all the sights: Om on the grille of a Mack truck, women in saris on the back of mopeds, dogs and cows in the streets, Shiva Family Restaurant, Ganesh Tiles, Raja Wine Shoppe. We stop for steaming chai in little glass cups and it burns my fingers and my tongue. After a couple of hours the jetlag begins to set in and I zone out until we reach Gokulum. (photo: leaving detroit)

9 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley, I will be checking out your blog! India, how awesome! I can live vicariously through you! :) What's the temperature there now? It's snowing here today. Looking forward to hearing all the details...
    Carrie Hura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Shelley! Love from Detroit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley, Its Marilyn and I was so happy to see your blog posting. I was hoping you would blog from India. when the girls all went last year, it was great to vicariously live the experience by reading their posts. Enjoy every minute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelley:
    So happy to hear your trip went well. I am living vicariously through you, so have the time of your life! Learn a lot and bring it back to teach to us. Please stay. . . please stay . . . please stay!!!! Love you!
    ~Jill D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're going to miss you so much but are so excited for you! I so miss Mysore! Much love to you and everyone there. Have a sweet lime and a chana chat for me. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shelley! I love and miss you (and all of my fellow Detroit area yogis)! Have a wonderful and safe trip - I'm sure it will be a great experience. You are an inspiration and I look forward to following your journey! xoxo, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Namaste Shelley,
    Yay! You've arrived! I'm so excited for your adventure. Sending a big hug, lots of love and peace!
    xoxo
    s

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Shelley,

    Smooth ride? Are their still speed bumps every few hundred feet? It is amazing that you are doing this in a way that helps so many people! Hope everything goes very well.

    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shelley!
    I'm so glad you arrived safely in India. I hope it's all you want it to be. Live well.

    Mary Mom
    xxxxoooo

    ReplyDelete